Re: unable to read the line status register(LSR)

On 6/21/06, Deepak Pandey <deepak.pandey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jinesh K J wrote:
> On 6/20/06, Deepak Pandey <deepak.pandey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I am trying to read the line status register (LSR) of uart chip
>> SC16C2552 but recieving a read error .Can anyone help me out with why
>> such is happening .Is there any control register which enables the
>> reading operation though it is not mentioned in the chips datasheet.
>>

> isn't LSR readable in your chip specifications? chip datasheets
> normally specify what all i/o operations can be perfromed upon its
> registers and how the device will respond to them.

yes, as per UART chip specification LSR is readable.

have u tried this in user space? its better to try such simple devices
from user space at first before going into kernel. also can u post
your source code? also, datasheets might sometimes show the pseudo
source code for doing all these stuff. u can also try for that.