Re: accessing kernel symbol information

On 6/15/06, Jinesh K J <jineshkj.newsletters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi all,

i'm trying to write a kernel module which will try to access a kernel
symbol. but, i dont know exactly from where to start. i'm right now
going through the insmod code to better understand how modules are
linked to the kernel. can anyone help me find the right place to
start.

what the module is supposed to do is this:

1. user will pass a string to the module through /proc, /sys or /dev.
2. the module has to find the symbol names matching the user string.

For loadable modules, only symbols explicitly exported through EXPORT_SYMBOL() in the kernel code are visible.

/proc/kallsyms  lists these symbols. I am not sure if the first column is the address.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Regards
Prateek