Oops when working with syscalls

That was only a joke. I didn't think about license my module with GPL cause it is part of an academic work, but as I said, Intel vtune makes this by greping System.map although you're right, this is GPL'ed.

Best regards

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 31, 2006 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: Oops when working with syscalls
To: Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia@xxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:25 +0200, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a module to profile some syscalls parameters. I replace
> the original functions by my own ones, doing (for brk syscall):
>
> old_brk = (void *) sct[__NR_brk];
> sct[__NR_brk] = (unsigned long *) my_brk;
>
> I get the syscall table address from System.map or by scanning the
> kernel address space (don't tell Linus.... :) )

I assume your module is GPL licensed? If not you really should talk to a
lawyer since several people including Linus have said before that such
intimate knowledge (groveling through the kernel for *non exported*
things) makes things clearly a derived work... so the best advice for
you is to talk to a lawyer and explain him very very carefully what you
are doing ;)