Driver to replace serial interface with network interface?

Hi,

This is possibly a silly question, but I'd appreciate if someone could
help clear this up for me.

I have a wireless network device which uses the 802.15.4/ZigBee. This
card connects to a PDA using the CF interface.

The card itself contains one chip controlling the wireless stuff, and
one chip which handles serial comms between the host and the card. When
I plug in the CF card, Linux sees it and registers it under /dev/ttyS4.
I can then use AT commands to talk to the card itself, send and receive
data, scan for other devices, etc.

However, my preference would be to be able to have the card presented as
a network device (eg, rather than eth0, as zb0, or similar).

How do I go about taking what already works, and manipulating it in a
different manner? Can I make use of the fact that I can already sent AT
commands to the card, or do I have to start from scratch using data-
sheets to get what I want?

Pointers are appreciated,

Cheers,
 Stephen.