RE: Re: Implementation of Virtual Memory on Linux

Hi Mulyadi,

Thanks for your reply.

What I could conclude from your reply is that if there is any mmaped file,
it will be resynced and then the page will be discarded. What if the dirty
page is a page containing data section from code? Is OOM inevitable in this
scenario?

The problem that I am facing is not consistent. Out of some 30 runs of few
of the applications, the OOM occurs, though there is request for just one
page. Why the behavior is not consistent?

> - If it is an anonymous page, it will be kept on RAM unless the user
explicitly ask it to be freed.
Does it mean a malloced page? And freeing is done tho' free()?

What role is played by overcommit_memory in /proc/sys/vm in such scenarios?

Regards,
Abu.

Abu M. Muttalib
Associate,