RE: Why can't we use the user-space pointer in kernel mode?

From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of cheng long

>But in copy_from_user() function, the kernel do copy the data intto
kernel space besides making some necessory checks.

>In fact, the do_page_fault() function will generate "Oops" when
accessing a swapped out user space page. why is that? why >don't the
>do_page_fault() swapped it back in?

	It is a long time since I have gone through the Page Fault
handler code, but I seem to remember that at least in 2.4 kernels, the
Page Fault handler code will not call Oops if the address that caused
the fault do belong to the process address space of whose context the
kernel thread is executing. Or am I wrong here ?