pthreads and the kernel

Hi all,

I'm having a confusion regarding threads in linux.
please correct me when I'm wrong.

1.there is no direct kernel support for threads.
2.pthreads is the most popular threads library in linux.
3.it uses the clone system call to create "threads" which are
   just another process that shares its creator's memory space.

4.the kernel sees these "threads" as just another process,
   and schedules them like an autonomous process in the system.
5. all pthread does is handle synchronizing, message passing, etc,
   between the threads. it does not responsible for their scheduling ?

and last but not least, and forgive me if it is out of context a little:
6. where can I find the sources of phtread ?
7. is there another popular threads implementation in linux I should
     look at ? it's a jungle out there...
8. why don't the kernel developers add theads support like win32 did ?

Thanks a lot !!!
G.