Memory Lay out - shared library

hi all!

Generally a programs layout in mem is like:

code
Data(Uninitialized)
Data(BSS)
Heap
Stack

Now my doubt is about  shared libraries.

Where in memory is shared library loaded?
i guess it should be in the process virtual address space only but if that is the case how another process which wants to use the same library comes to know that the library has already been loaded and how is it able to use that?

I dont know if it is a right question for this mailing list.
but as this question is related with memory layout and in no other 'C' mailing list, i will get the answer and i thought i can get the answer here. so i posted it here.
If it is not the right question for this mailing list, i m sorry for that.

Regards
Shivali