Re: TASK_RUNNING state and interrupt handling

On 3/27/06, Deepak Joshi <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read following statement in "Understanding Linux
> kernel"
>
> "the process on behalf of which an interrupt handler
> is executed must always stay in the TASK_RUNNING
> state, or a system freeze could occur."
>
> I am not able to understand it clearly. so can anybody
> plz explain it to me.

Deepak, this line does not literally mean what it says. actaully
Interrupts are never executed in process context. They are independent
of any process, so whatever process they interrupted should not be put
to sleep by the interrupt handler, that is why we should not do
anything in interrupt handler which can put the flow of execution to
sleep reschedules the CPU to something else. This is what he wanted to
mean by these statements.

Hope it helped.
Gaurav

> Thanks in advance,