Re: How do I create a driver?

On 3/27/06, Bill Baily <billbailyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What information do I need available to me to write a
> driver?
>
> The question might seem horrendously vague, but I'm
> looking for vague-ish answers, given my lack of
> knowledge in this field. What sort of information to
> people normally base their drivers on?

Another book that you may find very useful is:

	Understanding Linux Network Internals
	by Christian Benvenuti
	O'Reilly, 2005
	http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596002556

It does not talk about drivers but gives a great overview of the linux
networking internals. In particular, it describes what happens during
frame transmission and reception in great detail. Depending on what
you want to do, reading the code in conjunction with this book as a
reference can be very valuable.

In addition to the amazon reviews you can also read a review at:

	http://lwn.net/Articles/168894/

It covers the 2.6.x kernel.

Pavlos