RE: Accessing a File System/ Files from kernel space

> > 3) Directly call the user space file accessing functions
> through doing
> > system-calls from kernel (its the worst thing to do)

[snip]
> Can you explain, why the 3rd point is not recommended. whats the harm
> in doing that, why we say it to be a worst thing to do. I only reason
> I can find for that is, just because we are using the user
> applications unused fd for opening our file without letting the user
> application know about it. Whenever we opena file in kernel, using
> sys_open() systemcall, we would be using the unused fd of an
> application in context of which the driver is executing, and the
> application wont come to know about it. Is there any harm in doing so,
> if yes, please explain.

What about the file location? Isn't the kernel imposing a policy on the
userspace with this?
What if I want to move the file to some other location? Won't I be
forced to upgrade my kernel?
In short: It will be an unholy marriage.

-
Sekhar Nori.