Re: OOM-killer problem

Hi,

--- Tetsuo Handa <from-kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hello.
>
> For two weeks, I have been unable to complete
> "make modules_install" in Fedora Core 5 test 3.
> Today I tried again in Fedora Core 5, the result was the same.
> This is because "depmod" invoked by "make modules_install"
> consumes all RAM, resulting OOM-killer killing "depmod" itself.
>
> This would be a bug of "depmod",
> but the reason I post to this ML is that I want to know
> "What will happen to OOM-killer if no RAM is freeable?"

What OOM Killer does it is to select and kill a process while no memory
is available.
After killing a process, all memory used by such process are free.

What is your kernel version?

> I once encountered a case that OOM-killer attempts to free
> RAM but unable to find any RAM, resulting infinite loop
> showing noisy messages rather than killing "depmod" itself.

How do you know OOM-killer attempts to free RAM but unable to find any
RAM?

> Can OOM-killer always return if OOM is caused by "depmod"?

OOM Killer keeps killing processes and stop when memory is available
for new allocations.

BR,

Mauricio Lin.

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html