Re: Re: How does timeslice affect kernel threads?

Hi James

> Right, thank you for reminding me that.
> I am running 2.4.18 without preemption patch!

To be precise, what you need is kernel level preemption. In more detail,
actually the Linux kernel knows that one of your kernel thread's
timeslice is expired, but since kernel level preemption isn't enabled,
the kernel can't do nothing to switch from the current thread to
another runnable process.

So you have to choice here:
1. Get preemption patch for 2.4.x
OR
2. Use 2.6.x

I hope this clears out the issue for you.

regards

Mulyadi