how to add a new IP option

Hello!

I am trying to introduce a new IP option that has some specific data for the kernel functionality that I am working on. I assume that a new IP option number would be defined in include/linux.ip.h. Is that right?

Can anybody point me to something that explains where IP options are added to the outgoing IP packets and where the incoming packets are stripped of the IP options? I tried looking at the kernel but it's just hard to put things together.

Also, as far as I understand, IP options are associated with the socket, so all outgoing communication on a given socket will have the options added to it. What happens when data is received? Can I link somehow the data with the IP option until it is delivered to the user level process? I need to force the user process in doing something if it receives data inside a packet with my newly introduced IP option.

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers,

Cristian