How to split patch and whom to sent to

Hello

I've written a patch that makes disk geometry information available via
sysfs. Additionally I extended this basic function with write support by
introducing a new block-device operation setgeo and implemented setgeo
for the ide and scsi subsystem.

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz suggested splitting this into two patches (one
for read one for write), but i'm not sure how to exactly because the
SubmittingPatches guide is a bit unclear there...

On the one hand the read extends only the block-subsystem. For writing
there is an extension to that and a change in one of the kernel's global
headers (fs.h). And then there are the extensions to the ide
(ide-disk.c) and scsi (sd.c) subsystems.

Should I make three patches or two or not split at all? And if I split,
the patches become dependent. Meaning that I'll have to send Patch 1
(read-only) to the ide/scsi subsystem-maintainers as well. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help
Philippe Seewer