Re: Scheduler question

On 2/23/06, Rajaram Suryanarayanan <rajaram_linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  The scheduler subsystem swaps between the active priority array and expired
> priority array after all the tasks of that processor have exhausted their
> time slices. My question is what happens to the sleeping processes ? Will

more time a process spends sleeping (sleep_avg), would mean the
process is interactive, which would result in increase in process
"priority"

> scheduler wait till all sleeping processes wake up and exhaust their
> timeslices and then swap the active and expired arrays..?

no. when a task is sleeping, the time spent sleeping does not count
towards their usage of the timeslice. so a process that is woken up
(on an event, of course) from the wait queue that it is waiting on, is
re-inserted into the active array. if the process is highly
interactive, and its time slice has expired, then it is put into the
active array.

hareesh