Re: static compilation or as a module

On 2/18/06, Rajaram Suryanarayanan <rajaram_linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I often see that some kernel subcomponents cannot be compiled as a module
> in "make xconfig". They can only be compiled statically or never.
>  So I want to understand what is the criteria for this ? What are the things
> that can make a set of kernel code never suitable for compiling it as a
> module ?

I think this happens only for those modules which must be required by
the kernel and can't be compiled as loadable module __and__ most of
the options actually not for compiling some code rather those symbols
are required with-in the module/code going to be compile. As you can
compile almost all drivers as module (also IO Scheduler etc) but if
they required any symbol (with-in their code) then it won't be
selected as M because they are not used for module compiling rather
they are internal #ifdef for that module.

I hope this will clear your doubts ...

--
Fawad Lateef