Re: readonly filesystem

pradeep singh wrote:

Hi all

Is it possible somehow for me to make my normal Linux root filesystem a read only filesystem.

I mean even for root too.

I anticipate a question being asked in reply ,why do i want this? :-)

So this is not because i want it but when i installed FC 5 test 2 , i was not able to boot as it said there is no inittab file strangely.

So this means i have to create it ,manually but then it couldnt mount the root partition in single user mode, saying it is already mounted or in use.

Then i copied inittab from my other installation to the /etc of FC5 and i could boot but surprisingly it acepted whatever i entered as root's passwd. :(

i thought i did something wrong ( which i think i did perhaps ), so tried creating a file but then it said filesystem is readonly.

Also i formatted my root partition as reiserFS partition.

Later when i reinstalled with ext3 option everything went fine .

but still this gave inquisity of my original question.

Can i make my installed rootFS a readonly FS for everybody?

TIA
--
play the game

Well, I didn't understand half what you did, but answering to your question:
YES, you can mount any partition as read only. In particular, in embedded projects we usually use CRAMFS, because besides being read only, it compacts the file system with a nice 40% ratio. (see mkfs.cramfs)

I don't know if that's what you want for your workstation, but it's the answer to your question. Hope it can help you out.

--
Best Regard,
Sauro Salomoni

Engineer
Ztec
Phone: +55 61 322-2544   FAX:+55 61 224-7171
www.ztec.com.br