PREMPT confusion... stilll hanging around me

Hi ALL,

My kernel preemption is disabled. i.e CONFIG_PREMPT is not set

But immediately after that I find something like CONFIG_PREMPT_VOLUNTARY=y.

What does this mean?

Also, I noticed the following.

I have written a module to test this.

When insert this module it takes some long time becos of heavy initialization i.e. 4 seconds approx on my work station.

So, I schedule_work the code that takes long time in init routine

Later, I execution it as follows to test it

# date; insmod module.ko; ; date

Tue Feb   7 19:00:51 IST 2006

      Driver debug messages

      Driver debug messages

      .. .. ..

Tue Feb   7 19:00:52 IST 2006

DEBUG: before schedule_work call ()

DEBUG: After schedule_work call ()

If my kernel is not preemtable, I guess the result should be as follows:

# date; insmod module.ko; ; date

date ...

All Driver specific debug messages here ...

date ...

What does this mean? So, does this mean my Kernel is preemptable?

Regards,

Mukund Jampala