Re: spinlock on uniprocessor systems

Dear Mukund

On 2/7/06, Mukund JB. <mukundjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > AFAIK in kernel without preemption and no SMP the process (kernel
> > process) will never be rescheduled until unless it voluntarily call
> > schedule or releases CPU. You can see this behaviour by just inserting
> > while(1); (infinite loop) with-in your module and your system will
> > hang !  (CMIIW)
>
> I have tried this earlier version of 2.4 kernels and found what you
> mentioned. I found the same on 2.6.x kernel with Preemption & SMP
> disabled.

Right :)

> But, when I tried this on a 2.6.x kernel with Preemption & SMP enabled I
> fond that the kernel hangs with some messages.

Can you tell what are the messages ?

> I tried this by inserting a "while (1);" in close call. When APP calls
> close () call I found the kernel hangs for a while & immediately results
> in a crash.
> What is the reason for this? Is it the timer interrupt (ISR)that causes
> this?

I tested this on a SMP machine (actually EM64T Machine running 32-bit
2.6.11 with HyperThreading Enabled) but preemption is __not__ enabled.
And its working (means system remains responsive and do other works
too) until I won't start X-Server, as whenever I start X, the system
hangs/crashes and I won't able to see any messages. So, I think the
problem is due to some X-Server else its fine but I can't state the
exact reason for it !

--
Fawad Lateef