Re: Make my own modules for kernel 2.4(.32)

hi,
On 1/31/06, Massimo De Beni <maxdb82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I'm a newbye to kernel 'modding' and I've a question that may seems
> outdated... The situation is this:
>  I worked to get a Set Top Box to work with the latest stable 2.4 kernel,
> the way is clear but the box need some modules to be loaded at boot in order
> to get the video and audio device to work (modules that are not shipped in
> kernels 2.4...); now I'm building those modules separatly, compiling
> directly the drivers source codes with 'make', and then I insert the .o with
> 'insmod'.
>  I would create a better system in which one could compile those modules
> directly on the 'make menuconfig' of the kernel, so I'm modifying the
> various Config.in && Makefiles, but I'm a bit confused... Any good hint?

             You need to check
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help file and need to modify
it. Check yourself and modify device drivers category so that you will
get option to compile and keep your code as module/directly in kernel.
then move to the appropriate drirectory  say you choose
/usr/src/linux/drivers/misc. Put your code there and modify Makefile
and compile kernel.
           I hope i have not missed here  anything  to add own kernel
module in kernel.
Regards,
Parag.