Re: Entry function of the LINUX Code

On 1/22/06, K S Sandeep <kssandeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>             I have just started the code walk through of the LINUX code. I
> just wanted to confirm that the start_kernel routine is the first routine
> that is invoked to bring up the LINUX OS, or is it something else.
Well Sandeep in linux-2.4 there is an assmbly code snippet located at
arch/<host>/kernel/head.S. Exact function is _stext or _start on some
versions. This peice of code is the first which is called from boot
loader and as a result of this call "start_kernel()" is called (in
case of SMP, first CPU calls start_kernel() always)

Also, I
> wanted to know whether this routine is what is going to initialize the
> network card drivers, or is it done somewhere else, using some other
> mechanism.
>
>      I looked into the start_kernel code, and couldn't find the
> initialization of the network driver. Am i missing something here.

from
static int init(void * unused);

do_basic_setup();

is called which is responsible to initialize kernel's PCI and Network
features. I suppose, from here on you can follow up.

>  For your information, i have compiled the sources for  2.6.10 kernel.

I am using 2.6.8.1

Nauman