Re: SMP based kernel modules

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 21:49 +0900, Vijay Chauhan wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to know what are the things keep into mind while writing a
> module for SMP based kernels.

the same things you need to keep in mind when writing modules for
UP/preempt kernels: you need to use locking to protect your
datastructures: Spinlocks or mutexes (or semaphores if you write for old
kernels).

If you're not familiar with locking itself then I'd suggest a google
run, there's plenty of documents out there that explain the locking
basics. The linux specifics aren't that hard either, you just need to be
careful about things. Also it's a LOT easier to design with locking in
mind, than it is to put locking in later... so I'd encourage you and
everyone else to start with locking real early in the design, and not as
hindsight.