Re: Scheduler and user preemption

On 1/28/06, Ashok Sharma <aks6d@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> User preemption can occur when (i) returning to user
> space from a system call (ii) when returning to user
> space from an interrupt handler.
>
> My doubt is that one of these conditions may occur
> Only after the time slice of a process is over. Worse
> still can a user be executing without making a system
> call or interrupt occurring.

A process can run without making any sytem call to kernel, a programme
running in infinite loop no instruction loop is one example, but
interrupts can not be disabled by application programme in protected
mode. Its the kernel mode only which can disable or enable the
interrupts, so in any case interrupts will occur and more specifically
timeer interrupt will occur after regular time intervals and while
returning from these interupts the check is done for schedule as you
mentioned.

-Gaurav

In this case user will