Re: maximum kernel addres space and its implication to user space memory allocation

Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

Hello everybody

As we all know, using 3G/1G VM split (3G for user space, 1G for kernel space), Linux kernel can only do the identity mapping on the first 896 MB of available RAM and the rest is considered as highmem.

Now let's assume we have a PC with 1GB RAM and we disable highmem support in currently running Linux kernel. Also assume there is still around 900 MB free RAM available to be used (it's currently consumed by kernel code and data, also several user space daemons)

When a task is keep allocating memory (and the page frames are really allocated, so it's not just a matter of extending the size of existing VMA region such as heap) and it reaches 896 MB mark, can it keep asking for more RAM?

My understanding so far is: user space memory allocation is satisfied by using free pages from ZONE_NORMAL pool. Since ZONE_NORMAL is ranging from 16 MB to 896 MB, once it is all used, kernel memory allocator will start looking in ZONE_HIGHMEM. But since we disable highmem support, ZONE_HIGHMEM isn't exist. Therefore, the kernel can't satisfy user space request beyond 896 MB, thus it failed. My other understanding is, 128 MB of RAM is simply wasted since it can't be addressed

I will greatly appreciate if somebody can give explanations about this issue. I had tried to read Understanding The Linux Kernel 2nd ed but I still can't understand it completely

regards

Mulyadi

I am not sure about the 128 MB wastage. But in my opinion the kernel might give the user process additional memory by swapping pages to disk. (Might result in a lot of thrashing.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sanjay