System hangs when kdb is invoked.

Hi,

I am trying to use and learn kdb.
I applied the necessary kdb patches to kernel 2.6.14 and recompiled the kernel. I booted the kdb enabled kernel with the option kdb=on boot option.

As advised in the Rubini's book, I booted on a single user mode.
Then, whenever I try to invoke the kdb by pressing the "Pause" key, the system comes to the kdb prompt and hangs. I am not even able to reboot using the sysrq keys.

Can anybody please suggest me how to invoke kdb ? Or is it like to use kdb, we cannot use the pseudo terminal ( ctrl-Alt-F2) etc ? Is it mandatory that we have to connect another machine with the debugged machine using serial port etc ? ( I have  less knowledge on what is Ascii serial port , pseudo terminal etc )

Thanks,
Rajaram.

Yahoo! Photos