Re: Query regarding dual boot?

On 1/12/06, Fawad Lateef <fawadlateef@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/12/06, MHD.Tayseer Alquoatli <idoit.ief@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/12/06, Badari Prasad <h.badari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hi ,
> >
> >      im looking for  the step by step procedure to install debian 3.0 and
> redhat 9 as a dual boot in a sigle hard disk
>
> you won't get those steps from here for sure .. this is a kernel programming
> issues mailing list
> google for the keywords you've asked for .. ask Debian mailing list, redhat
> mailing list or any local group in your country .. you'll get many replies

You are right Tayseer, but I want to add/mention some details for
installing two distributions on the single hdd. I did this with Fedora
Core 1 and 3/4 and hoping it will work on others too ...

1) First install both distributions as normally do, but I think it
will be better to install latest (might be with new kernel and other
packages like grub as compare to the other distro) distro later. And
as far as I think both distros must have same boot-loader (like grub)

2) The distro which will be installed last will make its bootloader
(grub) as default loader. Now the entry of the other distro kernel
(installed previously) will be done in the grub.conf file of this
distro only in which you can boot now

3) For entrying the boot the configuration of previous distro its
better to mount that drive with that distro installed on some location
and then copy-paste the entry from grub.conf of mounted
partition/drive to the current grub.conf (found in /etc/), else do
enter the boot information by your-self manually

4) After doing entry just make sure that the root= must be pointing to
your that drive/partition which have other distro installed (like
root=/dev/hda1) (what I found in Fecora Core Releases it already
assign different labels to root partition when installing on another
linux distro installed, so no need to mention device node path
directly rather label is fine in that case) and also make sure that
the line root (hd0,X) must be correct that is X will be 0 for hda1 and
1 for hda2 and so on ... Just save the file and reboot with your new
entry

I hope this will help ! and also do search on google for this !

--
Fawad Lateef

thanks Fawad for the clarification
Regards