Re: kernel control path and interrupts

On 1/9/06, Deepak Joshi <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i read in "Understandig Linux Kernel" that Interrupt
> or exception handling can interrupt a process running
> in Kernel Mode"
> but if u insert a simple module having only while(1)
> loop, everything hangs. After that kernel is not able
> to handle the interrupts generated by keyboard or
> mouse.

I think the interrupts ARE getting handled, but unless you have a
preemptible kernel, after the interrupt is handled, the kernel goes
back to execute the while(1) loop. (Since it was in kernel mode when
the interrupt occured)

Interrupts do not do the entire work by themselves, rather they defer
it the Bottom Halves (like SoftIRQs, Tasklets & WorkQueues). These
complete the most part of the work that you can actually *see*...

Maybe the Magic SysRq combination might tell you whether the kernel
was truly stuck....

> so can anybody tell me what is actually happening.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Deepak Joshi.

Bhanu.

> NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/
>
> --

The difference between Theory and Practice is more so in Practice than
in Theory.