PCI Device Drivers

Hello,

 I am trying to debug some problems with a device driver for a cPCI device.  For some reason, the authors of the driver do not call pci_register_driver or pci_enable_device.  Should this cause any problems?  The driver registers itself via register_chrdev and calls request_irq to get the interrupt line.

The problems I am seeing are when it and the ethernet driver share the same interrupt line.  For some reason, the device driver's release function seems to occasionally get called (when I don't belive it should be called).  The release function frees the irq (via free_irq), but this seems to cause the ethernet driver to stop getting interrupts.  Any ideas?

Sonja