Re: pci_find_device removal

Greg KH wrote:

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:25:32PM -0800, Sanjay Acharya wrote:
What is the exact reason for deprecating pci_find_device and replacing it with pci_get_device?

Did you read the description of what pci_get_device() does?  If you only
use pci_find_device(), your code will not work in systems that support
pci hotplug (which is becoming more and more popular due to pci express
and cardbus and expresscard)

Yes I read the documentation but did not get a clear picture of it.

In reality, I'd also like to get rid of pci_get_device() too, so neither
of these calls should _ever_ be added to new code.
Yes, I read in the document that newer drivers should be using pci_register_driver and almost all of the pci drivers that I checked seem to be using this. I will be using this in our driver.

Is there a reason you are using these functions?
No there are no reasons. Our driver was making use of the old "pci_find_device" and I am re-coding this part to include the new changes.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

Thanks greg.

Sanjay