USB device query

hi all

whenever i put a USB pen drive in the USB slots it gets recognized in Linux and i can mount it using simple mount /dev/sda1 command.

Problem is whenever i put the device in the slot before booting the Linux it doesnt recognize it.At this point even if i plug it out and insert it again , it still doesnot detects it.Can anybody explain why this is so?

This is what i can make out.

When the Linux machine is up, the initialization task is ok but whenever the slot is occupied and the machine is say rebooted, the SCSI subsystem when initialized does a simple bus reset which makes the device usually unaccessible by the SCSI midlayer.And thus though no matter how hard we try we cannot access the off node, untill i remove and reinsert the scsi module again.

Am i right??

Please explain and correct me if i am wrong.

thanks

pradeep
--
play the game