Re: Re: Changing the state of a process

Pls see in line <Raja2>

Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Rajaram ...

> Please look in to my latest reply below with tag .
For simplicity, I think you just need to comment on the related part :)
It is a bit confusing for me to check the reply. I can track the
history of our conversation by simply looking at your previous post :)

> hey, just now I asked my IT people. They tell my machine is
> P4 HT enabled.

Gotcha...I smell inter processor value assignment problem. So actually
what we need here is an atomic operation (like you did with
set_task_state() ) and/or prevent the processor to do instruction
re-ordering.

<Raja2> Thanks for the information, although I am too new to these concepts to appreciate them.

Thomas, would you mind to CMIIW here?

> I checked. insmod was still in zombie state.

OK that means, the parent (bash) hasn't got a chance to clean the task
structure.In other word, it is still in non runnable state.

> May be it is also like this : when we try to convert back the state
> from TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE to TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE, it need not notice
> the pending SIGCHLD signal ( infact any signal ). But only respond
> when we force kill it using kill -9.

(another silly me) I remember now....signal handling is done only when
you get back to user space. In this case, your bash is still in kernel
space (sleeping state), that's why it doesn't clean up the insmod's
task structure.

<Raja2> Thats interesting to know ! but we were able to send SIGKILL when it is in kernel mode ?

> hmm..these are all my guesses..need to actually patiently look in to
> the code and understand :)

Same here....but your question is a good practice for me to re-study all
I know about process management/scheduling...so I think we are on
win-win situation.

BTW, I suggest to write an article about it once you find out the whole
picture and post the article to kernelnewbies' wiki. That way, other
people will get the same help, not just by reading archieve, but also
by reading someone's article.

<Raja2> Thanks for your encouragement. But I am just a new guy who is dreaming to reach some level :) I am interested in knowing more about you in terms of your kernel work etc..I saw that you are associated with Linux Journal etc. Any advice for me to develop myself in understanding the kernel and contributing to it..? I am just currently following the book by Robert Love :)   <Raja2>

regards

Mulyadi

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/