Serial port access in Kernel Module - Direct to HW or through existing Serial driver?

Hello List!

I am developing a driver for an external device that connects to my
linux box via a serial port. I want to develop the driver as a kernel
module so that I can minimize interrupt response latencies and achieve
hard realtime device handling (I'm using the realtime-preempt kernel
patch from Ingo Molnar & co.). Basically all I need to do in the
driver is to send a command to the device via the serial port, then
handle the response via an interrupt handler, immediately sending the
query again, and then shove the parsed results from the queries out to
userland, where a non-RT process will pick it up and shove it into a
database. Can I interface with the existing Linux serial port driver
somehow, or will I have to basically write my own serial port driver
just to be able to communicate across one? Also, If I can interface
with the serial port driver, would I do that through using the
/dev/ttyS* character device file, or would that make the serial port
communications go through userland? Is there a better way to interface
with existing hardware drivers/devices from the kernel level?

Thanks much for your time!

-James