Re: scheduler task queues

On 12/1/05, Deepak Joshi <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  i read about scheduler task queues as "tasks executed from this queue do
> not run in interrupt mode, they can do more things in perticular they can
> sleep".
>
>  I am not able to understand what is interrupt mode and how they can sleep.
> can anybody plz explain this with any example when in perticular this will
> happen.

Interrupt context or mode is basically a function executing against an
occurence of interrupt which is also called as interrupt handler. And
Interrupt handlers must not sleep rather they just have to do as
little work as needed and then just schedule their long work to be
done later known as bottom-halves.

The task_queues actually run in process context in which they can
sleep, sleeping can be through calling schedule (to schedule it-self
for later execution), waiting on the queue for event or so on !

see this article (http://lwn.net/Articles/11351/) in which first 3
paragraphs will give you some details !

I hope this will clear some of your doubts !

--
Fawad Lateef