logical/virtual addresses and high-memory

Hi,

It's not clear for me how logical and virtual addresses work. I would
like to know the following:

1) For a kernel that has high memory starting at 896MB, and processes
having pages in high memory, when there's data exchange from those
user pages to the kernel or vice versa, does the kernel have to first
map those addresses (i.e. modify page tables), and then access them,
even if the pages are in-memory?

2) Since a 4GB space is addressable in a 32-bit system, why would the
kernel maintain a 1GB logical space only? LDD3 page 415 says "the
biggest consumer of kernel address space is virtual mappings for
physical memory." Does this mean the page table entries that keep this
mapping consume a lot of kernel space and that's why logical space is
kept low?

Thanks,
Bahadir