Re: using ioctl in linux modules

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 13:00:56 +0500, Fawad Lateef wrote:
> On 11/12/05, Hossein Aminaiee <aminaiee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I just wanted to know how it is possible to open a device file in a
> > linux module and issue ioctl commands. I have included asm/ioctl.h in my
> > code. But whenever I want to insert my module, I get "unknown symbol
> > ioctl" message from the kernel.
> > Is there any tutorial available, or Any tips and tricks?
>
> You can't directly call ioctl function rather you have to get the the
> file_operations or block_device_operation pointers of the device
> (registered with kernel in registration function of device) on which
> you want to call ioctl. Or you have to work-out on doing system-calls
> from with-in the kernel module .... I am giving a code example which I
> used to open a file in kernel module and perform read operation on it
> and you can try/use the same method to call ioctl rather than read in
> below code example !

I would, however, suggest first looking at the code of the particular ioctl
you want to call and try to invoke the underlying code more directly. The
overhead of opening a file and calling through ioctl is likely not necessary.

There is another thing - you are likely doing something, that does not belong
in kernel at all in the first place.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>