Re: Problem with copy_from_user

On 11/11/05, Jim Bauer <jfbauer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Laurent Nadeau wrote:
> >
> >    I am not sure exactly what this means. Should I change
> > the context and how?
>
> No.  You need to redesign your code so you don't try to access
> user-space memory when from code that is run when not in process context.

Adding one more thing to Jim's reply:

Try to avoid accessing user space pointer/memory other than the
system-calls because they might be swapped-out at the later time when
you will be going to access user memory in kernel (might be accessing
in some other than process context). So for making user memory
available at any time in kernel, you have to create mapping of user
memory with-in kernel address space such that it won't be able to
swapped-out and the pointer for that memory location mapped in kernel
space will be available for directly usage (like without using
copy_from_user and friends). For this you can use get_user_pages
(declared in linux/mm.h) but I can't say much about this (as I havn't
used it in 2.6.x kernels) but in 2.4.x kernels I did this through
kiobuf !

--
Fawad Lateef