Re: kernel addr space in x86_64

On 11/7/05, Hayim Shaul <hayim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I am considering by saying 64-bit you mean x86_64
>
> Does it matter???
> I thought Linux had an abstraction layer so on all platforms you get the
> same partitioning.
> Is it different on IA64?

I was mentioning x86_64, just because I worked on x86_64 but not on
IA64 so can't say about IA64

Linux provides abstraction layer, but its not necessarily a complete
generic layer rather it depends how much you are going in the depth of
architecture specific development for example as your question about
the kernel address space in 64bit machine at higher level like you are
just allocating memory through kmalloc or so, knowledge of kernel
address space for that architecture is not that much important and you
can simply use unsigned long to hold its address (and it will
internally on i386 is 32-bit and in 64bit is 64-bit in size)

<snip>

> > Want to add one thing more: Please for asking some new question
> > __must__ create a new mail just __not__ reply to any of the previous
> > mail/thread by just changing the subject
>
> Sorry. Wasn't aware of the 'references' tag.

Actually all the mails are archieved according to the replies and if
some-one just reply a previous message by changing the subject then it
will appear in the same thread on which it is replied, not as a new
thread :)

--
Fawad Lateef