Re: In-kernel tasks

On 11/5/05, Oliver Korpilla <Oliver.Korpilla@xxxxxx> wrote:
> If there weren't performance and overhead differences > between a protected memory approach and doing it in
> kernel space, why are nearly all realtime OS
> without that distinction?

In my humble opinion this is because they're too simplistic.

> Same goes for the micro-kernel approach with
> micro-kernel, server tasks and user space - doesn't even Linus itself argue
> (the Tanenbaum "argument") that the additional context switches pose too much overhead.
> Oliver Korpilla

Overhead/high-performance (iow speed), and real-time perfomance are
different things. You seem to use them synonymously. Even putting
aside the real-time aspect, I recommend you to read  "User-level
device drivers: achieved performance" from

www.nicta.com.au/uploads/documents/PA005043_NICTA.pdf

Thanks,
Bahadir