Re: logging data to a file.

Hi,

Jesper Juhl wrote:

> That's right, but it can be perverted to export other data as well...
> Not what it's intended for, but if you just need to get some data out
> while debugging it can work for that purpose.

Sure, for debugging purposes, everything's possible ;-)

> According to the docs I've read "Each netlink family has a set of 32
> multicast groups." so yeah, you are right, there's a limit.

Yes, there's a limit, and I don't know the reason for this. I didn't
look at the implementation, but I find quite strange that Netfilter guys
have to write a multiplexer over Netlink, instead of simply changing
Netlink so that one can use more communication channels. From a code
factorization point of view, Netfilter's going to have its own
multiplexing code, some other part of the kernel will implement its own,
etc. Strange.

> For small amounts of data I still find a simple printk() to be the
> easiest way to get data to userspace.

Sure. But when it gets to a little bit more than "small amounts" of
data, printk() becomes unusable. So it depends on what Bahadir calls
"logging data" ;-)

Sincerly,

Thomas
--