Re: Module sizes very different comparing FC4 --> self compiled

On 10/18/05, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Sven Schuster <schuster.sven@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > yes, sorry, I realized that I (once again :-) ) forgot the attachment
> > at the moment I sent the mail and immediately sent another one with the
> > config attached but it seems like this didn't make it to the list,
> > maybe it is too big.
>
> Hmm, You have quite a few debug options enabled that could increase
> size. Try turning off :
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ
> CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP
> CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM
> CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO
> CONFIG_DEBUG_FS
> CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK
> CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW
> CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE
>
> also try turning off
>
> CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE
> CONFIG_KEYS_DEBUG_PROC_KEYS

Have you tried to compile the stock kernel provided with the FC4
Distribution ?? Is the size remains same ??? Because most of the
Debugging Symbols are already activated (Y), and the size Sven
mentioned 7-times bigger I don't think its just due to debugging
symbols !!! the debugging symbols just adds some printks and some
debugging code not that much code ... So plzz first try to compile the
FC4 kernel with the distribution ..... and watch for the size
difference .....

--
Fawad Lateef