Re: sleeping in kernel

On 10/8/05, Talib Alim <talibalm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am running my code under debugging kernel (spin lock debugging). I am
> getting following message.
>
> Oct  7 18:36:46 localhost kernel: Debug: sleeping function called from
> invalid context at mm/slab.c:2082
>
> My question what is considered sleeping in kernel, beside
>
> - memory allocation not using GFP_ATOMIC flag
> - explicitly calling schedule (or its derivatives)

In addition to Jan's post, my kernel release finds that line in
cache_alloc_refill, so you were probably trying to play with
allocating kmem caches at the time.

I know it won't make much difference now, but could I generally please
advocate the idea that this message:

"Oct  7 18:36:46 localhost kernel: Debug: sleeping function called from
invalid context at mm/slab.c:2082"

Is utterly useless as an error message? It doesn't tell us:

   * which kernel version you are using
   * what code you were running
   * whether you are using a tainted kernel
   * anything more than a BUG type line in a standard kernel file

Jon.