Re: filesystem assignments - simple examples for a fresher to start with

Vivek Bhandwalkar a écrit :
hi everybody,

i am interested in writing a simple file system.
currently i am reading about the sys calls such as sys_open,sys_read etc.

I just wanted to know that have you written module in order to
understand a working of filesystem(such as printing the inode number
of the file). if anybody of you tried some basic assignments then
please send me assignments that will help me a lot to know the
filesystem.

Thanks in advance

Have a look at the file system ramfs. It's the simplest file system and it's easy to understand. You can find it in the following file of the kernel source :
fs/ramfs/inode.c
Otherwise you can also look in the kernelnewbie wikki :
http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org/wiki/NdevfsSource
a dumb file system.