Re: major and minor numbers

On 9/17/05, raja <vnagaraju@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Will you please tell me
>     what exactly major and minor numbers mean in device drivers.
> I am studying the Linux Device Drivers book by rubini.I can not
> understand wht exactly they are ?

In simplest terms (mostly) Major number corresponds to a device and
the device can have multiple sub-parts/devices, but the device has
only one driver to handle all the sub-part/devices and these
sub-parts/devices are denoted through minor numbers whereas the main
device/driver has a single major number !!!!

for example: (HDD)

hda has major number of 3 and for its partitions (hda1,hda2 and so on)
it has minor numbers representing them but there is only a single
driver to handle main device (hda) and it sub-parts (hda1, hda2 and so
on ...)

--
Fawad Lateef