locking question in the SMP era

hi all !

I'm writing a kernel module and I have a SMP-regarding locking question.
let's say my module handles a static buffer of memory, in which it remembers
its state. work against the buffer includes reading, and, of course, writing.
let's say no one is accessing this buffer but the module itself.
i have doubts regarding the necessatiy of a locking mechanism on this buffer.
can the module be invoked on several processors on the same time ?
if yes, locking must be made on every variable !!

thanks