Re: address spaces in kernel

On 9/3/05, Rahul Iyer <idlisambar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fawad Lateef wrote:
>

> >I know this, its clearly mentioned in the Intel System Programming
> >Manual !!! but I havn't seen any linear address related thing in
> >kernel .... can you point me towards it ??? b/c AFAIK kernel uses
> >virtual adresses not linear and I havn't found any difference b/w them
> >or might I still not aware of it :(
> >

> Hi Fawad,
> Linux doesn't really use segmentation. But x86 *requires* you to use it.
> IIRC, Linux defines all segments as the 4G of memory. What i mean is
> that each segment maps all of the 4G. Because of this, there is a 1 to 1
> correspondence between Linear and Physical addresses.

Hello Rahul,

Thanks !!!! ya actually I forget this thing which you mentioned and I
only remembered that in kernel linear address and virtual addresses
are same and the reason for this which I know is Segmentation is
necessary to implement for x86 Processor and Linux implements it by
making segments to lie at 0x00 Address, so the Virtual and Linear
addresses are same ....

Again thnx for making me remeber that thing .... ;)

--
Fawad Lateef