Re: doubts:help

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:51:33AM +0530, raja wrote:
> 1.Is there any way to find the kernel stack limits in the kernel
> space.Because the thread_info structure is located at the end of the
> kernel stack.I want to get the reference of that structure,.Any way
> current_thread_info() symbol is there.But with out using that i want to
> find out

The kernel stack used to be 8kB, but can be configured (at compile
time) to be only 4kB. All drivers should be aware of this and not use
excessive stack space (i.e.: no buffers on stack).

> 2. Can i write Assembly language programming in the kernel space.If so
> will you please tell me how can i write.

You can, but if and only if you're writing low level architecture
specific code (for example: when you're porting Linux to a new
architecture). Everything else (drivers, filesystems, networking code,
etc) should be written in C so it can be used on all architectures
supported by Linux.

There are exactly four drivers that violate the "no assembly" rule, but
those are so intimately bound to a certain architecture that they
aren't portable in the first place.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw