I/O Scheduler

Hi all,
I'm trying to understand the way which the Linux I/O schedulers operates by. So far, it's clear to me that two key common points are suited by all present schedulers: requests sorting and merging. Starting from this base, deadline, anticipatory and cfq develop their own policy. What I don't understand is the source files' structure and how this behaviour maps onto the code. Can anyone suggest me some explanatory reading (hopefully a step-by-step code commenting doc or something like that)? I already read R. Love but he just gives the idea standing behind the schedulers and not their implementation details (to better explain this, I found much unattended stuff, like red-and-black binary trees which Love doesn't speak about).
Hope I didn't ask too much.
Thanks in advance. Bye

--
Antonio Mancina