Re: help : likely

On 8/31/05, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gaurav Dhiman wrote:
>
> > yes I think, by pipeline he means the instruction cache.
>
> Nop, I meant "pipeline", which is something different from the I-cache,
> see the Wikipédia links I gave in another mail.

sorry, I got confused between both. Yes you are right that pipeline is
different from instruction cache. On executing any type of jmp
instruction, CPU clears its pipeline as well as the instruction cache
also, as this does not serve any meaning now because we are jumping
different part of the code and CPU need to fill the pipeline and
instruction cache again, and that degrades the performance of CPU
because it takes some CPU cycles (equient to number of sections in CPU
pipeline) to fill to full.