Re: allocating >2G in userland

What is so special on 2G? It is special for files (where file offsets are

Nothing. just an example for big buffer.

signed, so you get only 31 bits), but it shouldn't be special at all for
memory. I'd expect you get exactly the same result if you try to allocate
(1 << 31) - 1000 instead of (1 << 31) + 1000.

Actually, I do.

No, it does not. It does have something to do with patches applied on the FC3
kernel -- their kernel is VERY different from official kernel from
kernel.org.

horrifying
This actually explains many things.

Hm, this difference is really in the dynamic loader (ld-linux.so). AFAIK
kernel does not decide where to load stuff.

With the Fedora kernel, the userspace has 4GB address space instead of 3GB,
so it manages to fit the block in.

I see. So how do I correct the loader?
The strange thing is that I have an identical machine that I had installed the same, and there the loader loads the libraries at the edges of the address space (and not the middle).

This is actually the second time it has happened to me.
Last time a re-installation (from scratch) solved it.
This is becoming more annoying than strange (or funny).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>